4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to Covid-19 the April club meeting will be cancelled"Details"

2020 Cal 4Wheel ConventionDetails

Author Topic: 3/18/20 snow run  (Read 234 times)

monyman

• 4x 4Him Board Member
  • Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
3/18/20 snow run
« on: March 11, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »

I know it's a Wednesday, but it's my birthday and, with the current stormy weather bringing fresh snow, I'd like to go snow wheeling. Anyone? I'm up for most anywhere, but my first choice would be above Bass Lake. What say you?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:17:15 PM by monyman »
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, 275:1, Diamond axles, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

monyman

• 4x 4Him Board Member
    • View Profile
Re: 3/18/20 snow run
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »

We met at 0900: JerryRig and his wife, the Crawl family of 5 and myself with passenger RJeeper. After unloading the trailer, getting gas and essentials, grabbing coffee, utilizing the facilities and a group prayer we were off for the snow. The weather was clear with patchy clouds and a light breeze, nicely warm in the sun and cool in a cloud shadow. We aired down a ways past the Calvin Crest turnoff with the snowmobilers unloading their equipment. We waved to them again late in the day.

There were 4 wheel tracks for a short way then only snowmobile tracks the rest of the day. As Sky Ranch Road rose there was more snow, which was why we picked it. We stopped to air down some more and continued to an untrod spur heading uphill. The snow had a small crust, then was crystalline like sugar underneath. This, combined with uphill, meant the front rig used momentum to blast through until getting bogged down, backing up and trying again. It was pretty fun from in front, but was fairly boring further back. Monyman led for awhile, then we switched it up with all 3 taking a turn in front. I checked when I got home and confirmed the front rig got to push about 3 feet of snow.  :)

Lunch time brought out food, snow ball makers and a sled. It was fun until the kids got wet and the sun hid behind a cloud. Dry clothes and car heaters helped fix that. We turned back down to the main road and on toward Fresno Dome. We made it to the Campground and stopped for a stretch break. Being that it was after 3:00, we turned to go back. It started snowing during airing up making it pretty. We got back to Oakhurst around 5:30 and headed for pizza. Afterwards, Crawl discovered a steaming battery that wouldn't start so a visit to the parts store produced a new battery.

It was a fun day with cooperative weather, interesting snow conditions, a few tow strap exercises, no disabling breakdowns, the kids had a good time and there were friends all around. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:00:27 PM by monyman »
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, 275:1, Diamond axles, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

Tony

• View Profile
Re: 3/18/20 snow run
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »

Happy belated birthday, ol' friend!
Maybe once this virus has gone away, we'll wheel again!