4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Input needed for Forest Roads Click "HERE" for details.

Please join us for our February 19th Meeting and Board Member Elections "Details"

Author Topic: Automatic to manual swap  (Read 110 times)

95 runner

• View Profile
Automatic to manual swap
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »

So I got a parts truck for dirt cheap with a Manual transmission and I’d like to swap it for my automatic. I’ve done my research and read a lot of forums on yotatech and it seems fairly simple and straightforward. I have all the parts I need the only thing that I’m stuck on is how to get my truck to lock the Hubs upfront. I have automatic hubs. Is there anyone who has done this swap before? I have a 95 SR5 V6 automatic and my parts truck is a 91 SR5 V6 manual. It can be a temporary fix, I intend to do an axle swap fairly soon with manual hubs. I wanted to do
That first but this truck fell into my lap and was too good a deal to pass up.
95 4runner V6 automatic, 5" lift, 35' BFG all terrains, 4:10 Gears, and Trail gear style homemade rear bumper

cruiserfj45

• Valley Teen Ranch Committee
  • Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
  • 4X4Him
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic to manual swap
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »

Do you have a set of manual locking hubs?  It is a bolt on job, swap the drive flanges for the locking hubs.
Only through you Lord can I do great things, and may the great things I do Lord glorify you.  The Lord never gives you more than you can handle.

ToyotaDon

• Associate 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic to manual swap
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »

The transmission doesn't really determine what happens with the front axle, does it? When the transfer case is shifted, the front driveshaft starts to spin and engage the automatic locking hubs. Unless, of course, it has an Automatic Disconnecting Differential.  In that case, the switches inside the t-case tell the front actuator motor to lock the axle.

Either way, it should still be functional after the swap.  You just may want to make it more functional.
Donal