4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ROCKHOPPER ROUND-UP

RockHopper Tri-Tip dinner sign ups "HERE" .

Please join us for our July 15th Meeting"Details"

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cerro Gordo - Death Valley Overland/Off-road Trip April 9-12th, 2017  (Read 3978 times)

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile

Trip Plan (Still Tentative): April 9th through April 12th, 2017

Route A
Meet at Lone Pine, CA on Sunday midday/Afternoon-Drive to Reward Mine, CA if time and Drive INTO an old Mine. Camp near this spot on Sunday Night. On Monday, break camp and head to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town and tour and visit. Then, head towards Lippincott Mine to camp for the evening. Tuesday Morning, break camp and head through Steele Pass Road towards Dedeckera Canyon (Mild Offroading, Lockers NOT necessary, some rock ledges, steps and rocks. Camp near Dedeckera Canyon on Tuesday Night. If time, on Wednesday, visit the Ubehebe Crater (Optional) and then head back out towards Lone Pine, CA. This will be car/overland/vehicle camping. Must bring water, food, tent, extra gas etc. Should be a lot of sights, stars and scenery. Hope you can make it! Mike

Reward Mine:

Cerro Gordo Ghost Town:
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/cerrogordo.html

Lippincott Mine:
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/998-lippincott-mine-road-usa.html
Romans 12:12 -Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

cruiserfj45

• Valley Teen Ranch Committee
  • Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
  • 4X4Him
    • View Profile
Re: Cerro Gordo - Death Valley Overland/Off-road Trip April 9-12th, 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »

Looks like a fun trip.  We may be interested but I'm not sure I would want to drive in the mine.  We may meet you on the other side.  What was the mine for?
Only through you Lord can I do great things, and may the great things I do Lord glorify you.  The Lord never gives you more than you can handle.

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

Looks like a fun trip.  We may be interested but I'm not sure I would want to drive in the mine.  We may meet you on the other side.  What was the mine for?

I am still NOT sure about driving in Mine! Ha-ha. There are GPS Coordinates for the mine.... There is a turnaround about .5 miles into the tunnel. So you enter/exit same Haul Tunnel.

The mine was VERY resourceful for Gold, copper, and other Ore.
http://strayngerranger.com/reward-brown-betty-mines/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:00:40 AM by ArmyofMike »
Romans 12:12 -Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »

How rough do you think the roads are? Is it something that I could take our stock awd explorer on?  I am following this but can't commit just yet.  Might be able to get my father in law as well in his Blazer.

jake62

• Jesus is my reason...........................
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »

How about a GMC Sierra 4X4 4 Door?
Relationships are never about power,
and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself - to serve.

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »

Howdy All,

Sorry for the late response. I started a new position teaching for Madera/Reedley Colleges and the beginning of my first semester was a long startup!

Rockranger, I have seen stock vehicles go to all the mines: Reward, Cerro Gordo and Lippencott. The only place that may be a bit technical or need a lifted vehicle is when you get to the Steele Pass Road to Dedeckera. There are some stair steps and a few small ledges to go over (and back down). I haven't been to this location to see with my own eyes, so I am not sure in actuallity how tall they are. I will ask around.

Also, Jake, I think that a GMC Sierra 4x4 will be fine for the mines...but I don't believe with the extended wheel base that you would be able to make the Steele Pass portion. Once again, I will ask around.

IF, enough of us want to go and do not have lifted rigs and oversized tires, I can scrap the Steele Pass Road/Dedeckera Canyon this trip...and it'll give us an excuse to go next time!  ;)

Mike

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »

I can't give a 100 percent yes answer just yet.  It will also depend on if my father in law comes as well in his blazer.  If he does then we will bring either my truck or Tracy's jeep. He will be able to haul some of our gear.

ToyotaDon

• Associate 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »

Hey Mike, I'm going to think about putting this on the calendar.  We have Spring Break that week as well.

Congrats on the new position.  This is my second semester full-time at COS, and the startup is always a lot of "fun".
Donal

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »

I can't give a 100 percent yes answer just yet.  It will also depend on if my father in law comes as well in his blazer.  If he does then we will bring either my truck or Tracy's jeep. He will be able to haul some of our gear.

That would be awesome! The more the merrier!

Hey Mike, I'm going to think about putting this on the calendar.  We have Spring Break that week as well.

Congrats on the new position.  This is my second semester full-time at COS, and the startup is always a lot of "fun".

HAHA Yes! What a blessing! I have been pursuing full-time teaching for about 14 years and to finally have a position, the startup fun has been interesting! God is telling me, "You asked for this Mike, now it's yours, but you will continue to learn patience and humility!"

Hope you can make it also.

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »

Hey All,

I am presenting a change to the locations for the Death Valley Trip. This route will make it easier for non-lifted, open diff., and somewhat stock vehicles to take part in the adventure.

Day one: Travel to Reward Mine, scout around, maybe drive inside and then head to Alabama Hills, East of 395 if possible.
Day two: Break Camp, drive to Cerro Gordo Ghostown, take tour and look around. Then Drive in early afternoon from Cerro Gordo via Cerro Gordo Road to White Mountain Talc Road to Saline Valley Road towards Lippencott. Find a campspot for night (Where is good?)
Day three: Drive to Lippencott Mine and scout around. Then drive from Lippencott towards Ubehebe Canyon, Camp overnight
Day four: Drive over Death Valley Road (paved) to Dedeckera Canyon, sightsee, then drive out from Dedeckera to Death Valley Road, back to Big Pine/395. Either stay in a hotel or motor on home.

This would be a more inclusive route as the Steele Pass Canyon can be a bit unforgiving if the washouts, ruts and sand has moved much after the winter.

Thoughts?

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »

What ever is clever. We will be along for the ride if I can make our schedule work out.  By April I will be ready for some dirt road driving.  I have a feeling all the snow this year may delay some local trail openings this year.

Kodiak Commando

• Look Ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »

Um, we are a 4wd club and Steele pass and Lippencott roads are really easy.  Unless there was an unexpected flash flood you should be really good with stock 4wd.  Great snow wheeling right now on the south entrance to Saline.  Helped pull some guys through there not to long ago.  Just my two cents... 
Fred Whorff
1967 Jeepster Commando
2015 Rubicon Unlimmited
1951 Willys Pickup
1961 Willys Station Wagon
1991 Grand Wagoneer
Yes its a disease of epic proportions!

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:35:40 AM »

We are in.  Two rigs and four people.

ArmyofMike

• Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »

Outstanding! I am so happy you can make it!

I am going to call the DV Ranger District to inquire about road conditions. The snow and rain we are getting is impacting our entire state! Such a blessing!

Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »

Was there ever a trip report and pics on this awesome sounding excursion?
Pages: [1] 2