4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please Join us for our June 15 Club meeting"Details"

2020 Cal 4Wheel ConventionDetails

Author Topic: 10/29/16 Bald and Red run  (Read 3035 times)

monyman

• 4x 4Him Board Member
  • Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
10/29/16 Bald and Red run
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »

My son Tyler (of flat tire at Shuteye Lookout renown) and I are wheeling for the weekend and welcome others, too.

We plan to camp at Bald Mountain Base Camp and run to the Bald Tower Friday night.

Then, Plan A is to meet at the Tamarack Snow Park at 0845 and leave at 0900 for Red Lake. We'll have lunch at Red, come out and head for Mirror Lake. My son is not taking his Tacoma into Mirror, but will ride with me. Plan A is contingent on someone else also going into Mirror. We might fish at Mirror a little (last time we got a fish on almost every cast!), but then come out and go to Strawberry for the night. Plan B is the same as A, except to spend more time at Red, then go into Strawberry for the night. Sunday we'll go find the Bald parts we missed and go home about 2pm.

If there are those who want to go into Red and stay longer than us, no problem.

This is somewhat ambitious, but doable I think. Please post up if you'd like to join us for any part of this, we can refine plans as needed and we will look for you before pulling out. It should be fun.
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, 275:1, Diamond axles, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

Rusty

• View Profile
Re: 10/29/16 Bald and Red run
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »

If you want, stop by West Lake on your way to Strawberry and say hi.

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »

Possible give me a few days to finalize it.  I will be only for the day Saturday.  You know I am up for as many trails as possible.

Mr. Orange

• Active 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Seasoned Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »

I am in, I need something simple for the Bronco... at least until I get the engine completely broke in.  I have to be "gentle" for the first 500 miles.  I thought Bald mountain would be a good practice run.  I have never done a night run, I have no idea how many lights I would need for that.
People will forget what you said,
People will forget what you did,
But people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »

I am in for Red, Mirror, Strawberry, Coyote. All or some.  It doesn't matter to me.   I would rather skip Bald for now sense the rest of the trails close Nov 1 and this will be the laat time this year to run the trails.

monyman

• 4x 4Him Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »

I am in, I need something simple for the Bronco... at least until I get the engine completely broke in.  I have to be "gentle" for the first 500 miles.  I thought Bald mountain would be a good practice run.  I have never done a night run, I have no idea how many lights I would need for that.

Bald would be good for an engine "break in" run. Extra lights are nice, but not necessary as I've run it multiple times with headlights only. My only caution is that previously we've gotten back to camp @ 11pm so it's very late getting back to the Valley or it's camping out. We'd love to have you, though. The Valley is beautiful at night from the tower.

You could join us on Saturday to Red. It is not very strenuous, but is a solid mid-level trail.

As of this afternoon there is a 98% chance of snow on Thursday in Shaver so it will probably be cold mornings and evenings.
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, 275:1, Diamond axles, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

K6TLR

• Pro Spotter
  • Shivers @ 2mph
    • View Profile
    • My Off Road Radio
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

Just realized that it hasn't been posted here... We will be meeting up at Shaver Lake Pizza on 430pm Friday. Probably head up to Bald Tower from there. If anyone was wanting to do the night run, meet us at Shaver Lake Pizza between 430 and 5pm. I will have my ham radio on at the table on the Shaver Lake Repeater ( 146.8200-    PL-141.3    Shaver Lake    Fresno    KE6JZ) if anyone gets close and wants to contact us.

I will also be scanning the Shaver Lake repeater and the Deadwood repeater that I know the club likes to use a lot (147.1800+    PL-146.2    W6WGZ    Oakhurst, Deadwood Pk) for the entirety of the trip, so look for me on both if you are trying to meet up and miss us at one of the camp sites each day.

Should be a nice, cold weekend! Like it has been mentioned, this will be the last chance to catch Red, Mirror, and Strawberry before they all get closed up for the winter!

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. If you're not having fun, it's not worth doing.

Mr. Orange

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »

Unfortunately the schedule is a too ambitious for me.  I plan to be up in the area on Monday morning with my daughter to play in whatever snow is available.  She also wants me to teach her how to make a human sized "lean to" for shelter.   She's been making all kinds of them in the back for some reason lately.  I have animals to feed in the morning/evenings so overnights don't work well when wife is out of town.

Anyway, I will turn my radio on and listen for you guys.  Have a lot of fun!!

-Maya Angelou

Ironman

• Associate 4x 4Him CW Member
  • God forgives, rocks don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »

I will be leading a group into Strawberry on Sat. and then I will probably do the hill at Mirror since it's so close.
'97 Jeep TJ stretched 4", 4.0, SM465, NP 231 w/4:1, HP Dana 60 w/5.38's and ARB in rear, HP Dana 44 w/5.38's, ARB and high steer in front. 5.5 RE long arm kit with 14" King coilovers front and rear, rollin' on 37" MTR's w/17" Allied Rockathon Beadlocks...The bigger the tire, the smaller the rocks.

Mr. Orange

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »

Seri, my dad and I went up by Bald on Saturday.  I tried calling folks on the radio but I think my not having the repeater pl correct kept me from getting out.  I could hear the repeaters...  working on that now.  I had a lot of fun, I hope you guys did too!
-Maya Angelou

RockRanger

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »

We had a great time. It was myself and Bailey in my truck, Don in his Tacoma, and Tyler in his Tacoma.  We ran Red, Mirror,  and West.  Fun times, I almost rolled going down Mirror and we caught a nice 13 inch trout at Mirror. I will try to get a few pictures up later.

Once we met up we changed frequency and went to simplex.  I can only monitor one channel.  Not sure about Tyler.  It could have been us just not on the same frequency.