4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ROCKHOPPER ROUND-UP

RockHopper Tri-Tip dinner sign ups "HERE" .

Please join us for our July 15th Meeting"Details"

Author Topic: HAM guys, what do you think of this one?  (Read 3683 times)

Kodiak Commando

• Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
  • Look Ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
HAM guys, what do you think of this one?
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »

Fred Whorff
1967 Jeepster Commando
2015 Rubicon Unlimmited
1951 Willys Pickup
1961 Willys Station Wagon
1991 Grand Wagoneer
Yes its a disease of epic proportions!

cruiserfj45

• Valley Teen Ranch Committee
  • 4X4Him
    • View Profile
Re: HAM guys, what do you think of this one?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »

That doesn't do 2 meter (other wise known as 144MHz) which is the most common repeater in our area followed by 70 cm (other wise known as 440MHz).  Some recommendations are:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-2900R-Mobile-Transceiver-Amateur/dp/B004WKH00M/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439068221&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=yaesy+ft

http://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-2300H-FM-Transceiver-IC2300H/dp/B008I6LK4I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1439068337&sr=8-6&keywords=icom

These are ones I have experience with.  I have 2 of the older version of the icom (ic-2100) because the price was right. I have one of the Yaesu ft-2900.  They are both excellent radios.  Rusty has a kenwood which is a good radio, I just don't have any experience with them.  I will let other guys post up what they have and their thoughts.
Only through you Lord can I do great things, and may the great things I do Lord glorify you.  The Lord never gives you more than you can handle.

cruiserfj45

• 4X4Him
    • View Profile
Only through you Lord can I do great things, and may the great things I do Lord glorify you.  The Lord never gives you more than you can handle.

cruiserfj45

• 4X4Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »

http://www.hamradio.com
Check out the prices here.  They are cheaper than amazon.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »

Hey Fred, that's a nice rig! Sure is purdy! I read the review of that radio and did some research. The Magnum S-9 175 has the ability to transmit from the 10 to 12 meter range (24 to 29mhz) which includes CB. Using the Export mode and adjusting jumpers 1 through 4, you have even more frequencies (26 to 32mhz). The built in 100+ watt amplifier is a nice touch also! May get hot in the Jeep though. Two mic plugs is a bonus when installing this little gem! With the 10 meter band and CB coverage you can shoot skip and talk all over the world! That's a pretty sweet little radio!

Out of the box it is 10 meter, right? The 10 meter band, just above the 11 meter band, or CB (27mhz), requires an FCC license. If you read the last paragraph under 'Testing and Output' in the review you posted, you'll see he is a licensed Ham radio operator. In my opinion, if you're planning to get a license I would suggest starting with 2 meter Ham radio like Jacob suggested. Not only will you have access to repeaters all over California and elsewhere, which allow much greater communication ranges, but they're more widely used and monitored too. Most recently, using 2 meter and the Oakhurst repeater (Deadwood 147.180mhz), I was chatting with Dave (TokyoTaco) on the Dusy Ershim trail from our home in Clovis a couple days ago. I've never played with 10 meter before so I couldn't tell you have much range they have. I did check repeaterbook.com for 10 meter repeater coverage in California and there aren't that many (closest is in Madera 29.68mhz). And at that price, you could buy a dual band (2/440 meter) radio, that's smaller in size, have more repeater coverage, and have twice as many people monitoring the frequencies. But I could also be wrong about 10 meter, it could be ubiquitous and I could be missing out! Checkout the Ham Band Frequency allocation and acquaint yourself with what's legal in the USA and what's not.
Just my 2 cents Fred!

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rflimited/magnum_s9/graphics/Magnum_S9_Freq_Mod.pdf

http://advancedsurvivalguide.com/2014/03/14/the-difference-between-10-meter-radio-and-cb-radio/

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:28:54 PM by Tony »

H2O_Jeep

• Active 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »

I was asked to make a few quick comments.

First off this radio was an amateur radio. This radio is modified to use cb thus not part 95 compliant. (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf) Some radio companies tried to push the limits of CB range and that included the use of Single Side Band (SSB) vs AM as most refer to as CB radio. Many people think that you do not need an FCC license to use a CB. This is not true. FCC basically made it so that one needs only purchase a “certified” cb radio to be compliant thus implying you are following the rules (fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citizens-band-cb-service).

Next, to get the radio frequency skips that this person is describing on a regular basis, you would have to have a minimum ½ wave antenna. This means you would need a 5 meter or 16 foot antenna. Even if you had 100 watts like this radio (Not part 95 legal) and use ¼ wave antenna that would be 2.5 meters or 8 feet. Not very practical. 11 meters or CB radio Band, that use fire sticks, coil the antenna to make it physically longer in a shorter space, but not electrically longer. Wilson whips (102 inches) do get skips but not on a regular basses and usually during sporadic E layer in ionosphere. 

Next, this radio is not designed for repeater use, strictly simplex. Other than it is not compliant with part 95  it is also not able to transmit or receive off set radio frequencies as required for 99% of most repeaters. There are some repeaters that use what are called “simplex repeaters” that use the same transmit and receive RF but they are rare. This radio doesn't have the ability to program a private line (PL) tone, either Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Tone-Coded_Squelch_System) or Digital Code Squelch (DCS) (http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DCS) which most repeaters require to access them to repeat the signal.

If your goal is a stronger cb radio than this will do it, but this is not part 95 compliant and not many cb radios have SSB so you are limited.
If your goal is an amateur radio, then go with a 2 meter rig like Tony and Jacob stated. I use both cb and amateur radio, but I do not mix the two. CB is good to communicate with those without an amateur radio license and amateur radios get the distance by repeaters, but both are legal and separate.

Hope that helps.

Side note, using 100+ watts of power usually requires 22 to 25 Amps duty cycle. This means minimum 8 gauge wire and not to mention there is a reason for such large heat sinks on this radio. It will be a nice leg warmer. It is better to have a higher gain antenna tuned to the frequency than trying to push that much power to a compact antenna (firesticks). Your SWR will be off the charts and even if tuned correctly you will have high loss because of RF feedback. So you may be pushing 100+ watts but your antenna RF radiation will be more like 40 to 50 watts.
2000 TJ, 35" BFGs, RE 4.5 lift, F/R ARB lockers, 4.56 30 spline axles
KJ6OUI, Amateur Extra
Public Information Officer, San Joaquin Valley
Amateur Radio Instructor/Mentor/Examiner
RACES/ARES Instructor/Examiner
73-

cruiserfj45

• 4X4Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »

Thanks that is good to know.  Sounds like if you use it too much it will self destruct. 

Are there any other 2m vehicle radios you would recommend?  I think I just want to put together a list of good options of vehicle mounted 2m radios and good antenna brands to look for.

Rusty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »

I have a Kenwood TM- 281A in the YJ and a Icom like Jacobs in the TJ.
Nice thing about the Kenwood is it's 75 watts on the high side.

H2O_Jeep

• Active 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »

I don’t want to limit my recommendations to specific models rather what things to look for and examples of name brands and models. To start out most new hams get a Handy Talkie (HT). Below are parameters to use for both HT’s and mobiles.
Cost: >$50, $50-$150, $150<
Reception: In Band vs. Expanded
Bands: Single Band Tx/Rx, Dual Band Tx/Rx, Tri Band Tx/Rx
Power:
               HT: Low (>1 Watt), Medium (1-3 Watts), High (3-8 Watts)
               Mobile: Low (>25 Watts), Medium (25-50 Watts), High (50< Watts)
Expanded reception
               NOAA Weather: 162.40 to 162.550 Mhz (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage/stations.php?State=CA)
               Public Service (Rx ONLY, unless you have permission Tx) – Police, SO, CHP, Fire, EMS (www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=192)
               Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) (Rx ONLY)  – 151.800 to 154.600 Mhz (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service)
               Family Radio Service (FRS) (Rx ONLY)  – 462.5625 to 467.7125 Mhz (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service)
More than one band, i.e. 2 meter and 70 cm.
Dual “monitor”, i.e. two (2) VFO’s, or “I can listen to two frequencies simultaneously”.
Low Price HT..$30 to $90
               Almost absolutely requires programming software.
               Dual-band, sometimes dual monitor (dual VFO).
               Limited to questionable product support.
               0.1 w up to 8W power
               Generally find them with expanded reception range.
               Sometimes considered “disposable” or “sacrificial”
                   Radios:
                   Wouxan KG-UV6D, KG-UV8D
                   Baofeng HT's: UV-3R, UV-5RB, UV-5RTP, GT-1, UV-82 <-- (I use this, it’s a great 1st radio, only $30 on Amazon.com)
                   TEKOO, Pofung, Kalewood
                   Yaesu: FT-60R, FT-270R, FT-277R (70cm)
                   ICOM UV-V88, IC-v80, IC-V82
                   Kenwood Th K20, TK-3307, TK-390
Medium price HTs and mobiles..$100 to $500
               Greater ease of programming.
               Greater sensitivity and range of reception.
               Better displays.
               Better energy consumption.
               Dual band AND dual monitor more often.
                    Yaesu:
                             HT: VX-6 (I own this one it is great for backbacking), VX-7, VX-8
                             Mobile: FT-2900, FT-7900, FT-8800  (I use this in my Jeep, Great dual monitor, 1000 Frequencies memories, expanded RF, and  Duplexing (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_(telecommunications))
                    Icom
                    Kenwood
                    Alinco
High price..> $500 <-- not recommended unless you know exactly what you are buying and why
               Greatest ease of programming, often “hand” programmable.
               Greatest sensitivity and range of reception. (Dual band at minimum up to multi HF bands)
               Best displays, Touch Screen
               Best energy consumption.
               Dual band AND dual monitor.
               MilSpec for dust, water and shock.
               D-Star, WIRES, Camera, Digital Voice
                   Yaesu:
                          HT: FT-1DR, FT-2DR,
                          Mobile: FT-400, (HF) FT-857
                   Icom:
                   Moblie: 5100, (HF) IC-7000
                   Kenwood
                          Mobile: 710

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:50:02 PM by H2O_Jeep »
2000 TJ, 35" BFGs, RE 4.5 lift, F/R ARB lockers, 4.56 30 spline axles
KJ6OUI, Amateur Extra
Public Information Officer, San Joaquin Valley
Amateur Radio Instructor/Mentor/Examiner
RACES/ARES Instructor/Examiner
73-

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »

Hey Fred, don't keep us in suspense what did you go with? The Magnum or something else?

cruiserfj45

• 4X4Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »

Bump

pastorwug

• View Profile
    • Calvary Chapel Santa Maria
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:06:15 AM »

Thanks for the added info!
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Stone White
A Few Mods

cruiserfj45

• 4X4Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »

Bump for those looking for ham radios.  The prices have changed a lot but look for radios in the $120 to $160 range.