4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Input needed for Forest Roads Click "HERE" for details.

Please join us for our November 19th Meeting"Details"

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 1999 GMC Jimmy  (Read 7585 times)

futcomker

• Administrator
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
    • Digital Hand
1999 GMC Jimmy
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »

I bought this Jimmy with 176K out in Arroyo Grande. The thing is a project for sure. I mean project just to get it running decently.

So far in the past two weeks:

* New Fuel pump (was not reading fuel level)

* Torque'd Cyl #3 (was completely lose, had a ticking sound (fixed)), removed the steering shaft quite easily and had all the room in the world. It is only held by one bolt.

* Removed the blend door actuator and closed the vent door as much as I could. It was stuck on heat and was giving me a sun tan when I drove it. Still blows some heat, but I think something is blocking it from closing all the way. Still have to make a hole to check then reseal with some RTV or something.

Currently I am having an issue with the RPM levels fluxuating only while driving not in idle. It is very annoying because it loses power as it moves back and forth. Varies from 500-800 rpm's at a time, so you feel the drag pretty bad. Gonna clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor and remove the K&N air intake filter it came with. Also install an new paper filter and new plugs in hopes that it'll fix the issue.

Future plans:

2.5" Rough Country Lift (Why 2.5? Because I can't seem to find anything in my budget, and that is actually made for S15's.

2" Body lift

Some Steel Wheels

Install a CB Radio (I just bought a Cobra magnet antenna 300W).

Install a 40 series flowmaster (cheap upgrade)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeshernandez

"Support open-source, support innovation." - Futcomker

Tony

• Seasoned Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 GMC Jimmy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »

Sounds like great project! Keep us posted with your progress... 

futcomker

• Administrator
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
    • Digital Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »

Welp, cleaned out the Mass Air Flow, and Throttle Body and same issue. I tested the Jimbo out on 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear and 1 & 2 ran fine until I got into 3rd gear. So im assuming it's locking and unlocking.

Taking it down to a tranny shop on Monday to find out the damage (if any on the tranny).

Also planning a SAS through a kit>>  http://offroaddirect.3dcartstores.com/94-04-Chevy-S10-solid-axle-conversion-kit-leaf-springs-_p_28.html

So gonna be pick-n-pull shopping for an axle here soon.

If any of you have done this, any pointers would be great. Possible maybe even have an axle for sale based on these compatible axles:

Chevy:
73-87 Chevrolet Pickup
73-91 Blazer / Suburban
Ford
77.5-79 Ford F250, F350
Jeep

73-91 Wagoneer
87-95 Wrangler (YJ)

I figure this is as expensive as a decent lift, but get to have FLEX  :peace:

Plus, not that common in Fresno on a Jimbo?

Robert

• Associate 4x 4Him CW Member
  • 4x 4Him Christian Wheeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:45 AM »

Definately not that common. We did the SAS on my 4Runner, but it was mostly Deek that did the hard stuff. The level of difficulty will depend largely on the quality of your kit. Make sure to get it straight or you will be crabbing down the road. Hope you have good welding skills or a good buddy.
Some trust in vehicles and some in horsepower, but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 (paraphrased)

huebie

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
  • WWJD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:02:29 AM »

Not being a real common swap, I'd say do as much searching and reading as possible.  The axles you mentioned have a range of spring pad widths (from spring to spring).  Some are also set up from the factory to be mounted spring over while others spring under. Picking the right one, or the one that will be closest to your needs, will greatly reduce the work to modify it to your Jimmy.

Decide what route you want to take, either * an axle to your frame and needs, or * your frame and springs to an axle.  For instance, my CJ had a stock spring width of (I think) 27.5" center to center.  I wanted to swap in a Scout front 44.  Because of how far over to the passenger side the pumpkin was located on the axle housing, I had to outboard my springs to a measurement of (I think) 31.5" center to center.  If you are getting a kit for your Jimmy that has a preset spring width measurement (center of spring to center of spring), then start researching axles that match.

Sounds like a great project vehicle!  I always like to see rigs out there that are not that common.  Good luck building!   :rockon:
1980 Jeep CJ7  "enhanced" 4.2L inline six, NP435, Dana 300 with 4:1, Dana 44s with Detroit and ARB, 36" IROKS on beadlocks.

futcomker

• Administrator
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
    • Digital Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »

Wrangler 87-95 (YJ) Dana 30 is supposed to be almost bolt on to the kit. I will be doing some welding to the leaf hangers and the tranny cross over (i'll have to find someone to do that for me) along with the bolts, it should provide enough holding glue.

I def agree. I'll be researching for as much info as possible. I was thinking of going with Dana 44 out of an older Blazer or Jimmy but considering the difficulty I may just get the solid axle in place and go with the simplest, cheapest route which would be a Dana 30 which I may not even need to re-gear.

I found this awesome article that explains a lot, apperently the brake lines and most everything lines up with the Jimbo.

Figure the Kit is about $510 with shipping
Rear Shackles $65
Dana 30 $120-$260
Misc Parts $80

Would be around $775-915, not too shabby I think (cost wise for parts only).

http://www.s10extremist.org/tech_articles/sfa_first_gen_s10.htm

futcomker

• Administrator
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
    • Digital Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »

Welp, Jimbo came back from the tranny shop. Turns out the fluid was low .. eh.. I guess I should have checked that first..  :don'tknow:

Not leaking however, so where was it going? Transfer case. The rear seal is cracked/broken and needs to be replaced. So after they filled it back up, the rpm fluctuating issue went away. Very nice.

So I may tackle this one myself and pay $40-60 for the new seals and service my tranny while im at it.

huebie

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
  • WWJD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »

Definitely think some on your steering. Are you going hi-steer? Dana 30 aftermarket knuckles can solve that but are pricy. How about different shocks? Will you need longer shocks?
1980 Jeep CJ7  "enhanced" 4.2L inline six, NP435, Dana 300 with 4:1, Dana 44s with Detroit and ARB, 36" IROKS on beadlocks.

Peachy

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
  • Never finished!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Soo as I look @ this and I don't know much about the Jimmy's but I do know GM's, Is the t-case driver drop or passanger drop? Most IFS GM's went to driver drop and chain drive once they switched unless you got a heavy duty version usually a Suburban or 2500 truck! Soo Is it driver or pass drop??? I met a guy @ the parking lot on Dinky Creek road earlier this last year as I had just returned back to our vehicles from a road ride and he had a extended cab s-10 with a SAS and he I wanna say did the DANA 30 and YJ's but not sure? He was rollin on 35's and maybe some body lift, maybe?

Welshdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Hey Peachy, I work with Jesse. The Jimmy ( S-10) is a drivers drop. Do you think the center axle disconnect ( CAD) on the YJ axle will be an issue?

Peachy

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
  • Never finished!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »

I would just make it work once and not have items that make cost go up and may have other issue's in time! I would use an axle out of a dodge or bronco, that would fit, that are drivers drop and just eliminate hassle's! Are Jimmy's full width or, full size?

I Have a matched set ford 9" rear and a 44 front out of a 74 I believe that I'm not using @ this time but do have future plans for the 9" in the future, but they are full size/width and are a matched set! Also the front d44 is driver drop so it would make it super simple, and since there's a ton of parts for both the 9" and the 44, parts are redily avaliable and cheap!

Deputy Dog & Lady Hawk

• Seasoned Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »

I highly recommend that you stay away from the YJ front end for your project unless you only want to run 31" tires and drive on graded dirt roads.  The YJ front end was a poor design that had a vacuum operated sleeve to lock the front end.  The design that Jeep used for the YJ had a lot weak links and putting it under a Jimmy which is much heavier than a Jeep only adds to the stress on those weak links.

Since you are going with leaf springs it wouldn't take much to weld on the spring perch you just have to make sure to have the correct cast/camber angle.  I think any option is better than the YJ front end.  Spend wisely and cry once or spend foolishly and cry twice.       
To every day turn.  There is a time to every purpose under heaven.....Ecclesiastes 3

artlugo

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »

Quote from: Deputy Dog & Lady Hawk = Spend wisely and cry once or spend foolishly and cry twice. [/quote
I Love this and its so true.
Art Lugo (Trail Breaker)
Blessed with a 03 jeep wrangler sport, ? On 4" lift, rockhard rear bumper and tire carrier,
Chossen on purpose

futcomker

• Administrator
  • Pro Spotter
    • View Profile
    • Digital Hand
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »

Well, the other direct fit second best to the YJ Dana 30 is the Wagoneer Dana 44. Of course these are harder to find and those that I have are also vacuum disconnect. So being that the Dana 30 would make my life easier I could buy a posi-lock for the time being until I can afford a stronger front. At least that was my thought.

But for now, I am just gonna buy the kit, leafs, etc then hunt for a decent axle. I don't weld, and can't afford thousands of dollars on this SAS. They wanted to charge me $10K at Off Road Extreme JUST to install it. Another shop in the high $3K also just to install it. So I may be taking this very slow as I collect parts now that I am researching more. Even slower if I decide to go with a Dana 44, etc. Im afraid if I wait too long I'll be like the people on CL that were "once" planning a SAS, have all the parts, and now looking for buyers. lol Dana 30 = fast, easier, budget friendly.

Robert

• 4x 4Him Christian Wheeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

Dana 30 also = lots of breakage under a heavy rig. I recommend you save up for the 44. It might take longer and cost more, but in the end, you will have a better rig and less trouble.
Some trust in vehicles and some in horsepower, but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 (paraphrased)
Pages: [1] 2 3