4x 4Him Christian Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Input needed for Forest Roads Click "HERE" for details.

Please join us for our November 19th Meeting"Details"

Author Topic: Clifford  (Read 2303 times)

Clifford91

• Pro Rock Jocky
  • Mark 10:27 "...All things are possible with God."
    • View Profile
Clifford
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »

So my rig is a 1991 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton, 350 TBI, 4L80E Transmission (still new under warranty, the old one ker-ploded) with an NP241C transfer case (hoping to upgrade to an NP203 with Offroad Designs doubler to an NP205 in the future) It's pretty much stock, in really clean, good running condition, it was a gov't vehicle so it was maintained well. It was a mountain rescue vehicle in Utah where we use to live, my dad got it from an auction with 85,000 miles on it, and I kind of inherited it. Put some RS 5000 shocks on it cause the old ones were just that, old. Basically it's stock with a few modifications. It's been wheeled alot in snow in Utah and Colorado where we use to live, and on light trails, took it over some rocks here, up in the park by Hume and it did pretty good for being stock.

I mentioned a little bit about my future plans for it in my introduction. I'm looking at an Offroad Designs Suspension kit (Shackle Flip Kit, New Shackles, Bolt in Steering box brace, HD front shackles, Greasable Bushings, Drop pitman arm, steel braided brake lines, etc.) Only instead of the Tuff country springs that come with it I'm having springs made from Alcans, (ORD springs are $335, Alcans are $430 w/ U-bolts, the extra $100 seems worth it) I plan to cut the fenders as much as possible, maybe even cutting into the body so I can stuff more. Basically I'm trying to create a drop suspension with alot of room to stuff because I don't want a 91 suburban that's 10 feet tall, granted it would turn heads.

Down the road I'd like to bob the back. This was done with paint, I measure it to scale at 1/20.64 The wheelbase is still stock at 129" however I cut off 14.6" inches in the back to give it an overall length of 205.4 (stock is 219") Resized the tires (rims are disproportional, but who's counting?) This is what I'd like it to look like(minus the bob) in the next few months, which is very do-able for me. So I guess this is the beginning of my build thread. Any ideas or comments or any advice at all is welcome. Thanks
James 1: 2-4  "Consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's job so that you may be complete and mature, lacking nothing."

92' Toyota Pickup Build
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/TheTwiztidness12/1992%20Toyota%20Pickup/

loubell

• Associate 4x 4Him CW Member
  • Seasoned Rock Jocky
  • Running........
    • View Profile
    • 4x4Him.org
Re: Clifford
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »

The biggest issue I could see with a Sub is the large rear overhang. But because you plan to already address that, I think you have a great plan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:53:43 AM by loubell »
What if the life that we pursue
Came from a hunger for the truth
What if the family turned to Jesus
And stopped asking Oprah what to do

Clifford91

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »

Also I realized that the gas tank is located in that rear overhang, it's a 40 Gallon tank, however, the tank sits inside of the frame rails and hangs down only a few inches past it. There is a space just on the other side of the rear cross-piece (right above the rear axle) of the frame  that I think is big enough to move the tank to, without getting in the way of anything. There is literally nothing in this space. I'll have to measure it this weekend, I'll be up at my parents house where it is parked. I'll get some pics of it as well (The picture above is not actually my suburban photoshopped, but it is identical) And even if the space isn't big enough I don't mind losing a few gallons to put the tank there.
James 1: 2-4  "Consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's job so that you may be complete and mature, lacking nothing."

92' Toyota Pickup Build
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/TheTwiztidness12/1992%20Toyota%20Pickup/

broncodealer1

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:13:38 AM »

REAR OVERHANG????? not a problem....... run "FULLSIZE" tires.... 39" or bigger!!!!!!!!!!!    FULL SIZE RIGS, ROCK        WELCOME!!!!

Clifford91

• Pro Rock Jocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »

This is it. I got the picture of the rear differential just for reference because I found out GM made two different Corporate 14 bolts and wanted to know which one I had(one had a 9.5" ring gear and one had a 10.5" ring gear, sadly this is a 9.5"  :crying: still strong though) and i realized that if you look past the axle you can see the area that i plan to relocate the gas tank to. It looks a bit smaller than what i thought when I climbed up under there, but I think after the lift it will seem a bit more open. Any comments or advice is always welcome.  :thank:

92' Toyota Pickup Build